Get More Emails Opened with Killer Subject Lines
While the death of email marketing has been predicted for years now, the truth is that in 2014 and for the near future, it is stronger than it's ever been, and the basis for building a long-term business, online and off. As the email ROI figure is that for every $1 spent, more than $43 is returned, it makes no sense to give up on this method.
And what's the easiest way to have your emails read? By creating a subject line that compels the viewer to take the next step and open it!
How to create effective subject lines
- Keep it brief - A shorter subject line is the order of the day, somewhere between 15-40 characters, as not only will it make for a quick scan, it stands an enhanced likelihood of being seen in its entirety on a mobile device, where over 51 percent of emails are opened now.
- Don't use spam words - There are lots of words that automatically trip the spam filters, sending your missive to the spam pile before it's read. Words like "free", "credit", "offer", "act now", and all caps will almost certainly get negative results. A decent list of spam words can be found here.
- Employ calls to action - One smart way to make your subject lines work for you is by using a call to action in the subject line. Such as "Download my new software" directs readers to the action you want them to take.
- Ask questions - Asking the reader a question in the subject line works very well. "How would you rate our service?" This presupposes that you understand your audience well, and if not, you will!
- Don't over-personalize - It's one thing to thank a customer by name for an action they've taken; and it's another to repeatedly treat them as pals in sales message after sales message. You know the feelingâ€¦
- Be specific - Let them know what this is about! Be very specific and don't make them guess. Nobody has time or energy to try and guess what you're saying.
Crafting great subject lines is a bit of an art, but it's the one thing that will get your reader to the next step, actually opening the email. Take time to master them!
Are you ready to take your Auto Body Shop to the next level?