Protect Your Online Reputation in 5 Easy Steps
We live in a world where communication is almost instant, word travels incredibly fast, and if you're not careful your online reputation can be trashed in nanoseconds. Many aren't aware of just how vital it is to protect your online reputation. Cone Communications reports that some 89 percent of consumers regard online channels are trustworthy sources, and that another 80 percent have gone so far as to change their mind about a purchase after looking at a negative comment or review. Further, your social media is where they're talking about you. The Society for Communications Research documents that 72 percent said they research companies through social channels prior to making purchases, and that 59% use social sites to air their frustrations about your customer service.
5 Quick Guidelines to protect your online reputation
- Check your online reputation regularly - Google yourself and your company name at the very least once per month. Set up Google alerts to inform you if there are any mentions of your names or brand. Easy, free and necessary.
- Claim online real estate - If you don't own your company's domain name, or your personal one, make it a point to own these. A lot of damage can be done in your name otherwise.
- Be proactive on your social sites - Like your domain name, claim any Facebook, Google or LinkedIn pages that bear your name. Not only that, make it a point to use them regularly.
- Deal with any detrimental content quickly - Do your very best to take care of negative postings and complaints expeditiously. Try very hard to contact the poster directly, offline if at all possible, and see if you can handle their concerns. DON'T get in to a flaming match online. You'll be the loser.
- Be careful what you put online - Those lovely pictures of you and the staff partying hard are not exactly what you want to show up in a business context.
We're all part of an instant information-driven world. Make certain you're in position to use this to effectively manage your online reputation!
Do you want more (good) online reviews for your Auto Body Shop?