Using infographics in your business yet?
So why use infographics? Infographics have taken our world by storm, as we are more and more inclined these days to process data visually than through the written word. Neuroscience explains why: based on research from 3M (maker of Post-its, among other things), 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual, and visuals are processed 60,000X faster in the brain than text! So some smart person somewhere invented infographics (probably Al Gore) to help us tell our stories. Now, smart businesses are utilizing these visually pleasing, data-rich illustrations to educate and engage new customers. Here’s a great example of how one online marketer is utilizing infographics to build his business.
There are a number of great reasons why you should think about using infographics in your business. Here’s a few:
- They are visually impactful and easily scannable, both aspects that match up with today’s web user
- They present information easily and in an organized manner
- They help establish you as an authority on the subject
- They can go viral, which can result in traffic and search engine ranking benefits
- As images, they are easily shared, which offers a number of benefits (as stated by research conducted by social media expert Dan Zarrella, images get more shares and likes on Facebook than any other post type—even video)
So to show you some of the magic of infographics, check out this infographic from MarketingTechBlog.com.
How to make your own infographics
If you would like to make your own infographics, there are sites and tools that enable you to jump in and create breathtaking infographics. At the basic level you could make them in PowerPoint, which is not as tough as you may assume. If you’re wanting a bit more advanced or polished option, you might look into a tool like Visual.ly, where you could customize existing templates to your needs, or perhaps use a service like PiktoChart or Infogram.
What if you can’t design a whit?
Outsource it! We often don’t have the time, inclination or skills to get this sort of work done, particularly if you’ve never really done any work with images before. Don't worry, as there are great designers out there just dying to create your infographics. Some of the places that can assist you in this regard, and in most cases for a reasonable fee, include 99Designs, Elance, Odesk, Fiverr, and Freelancer.com. Make sure you see samples, set parameters and expectations, and are able to communicate your vision clearly with your outsourcer, so there are no surprises!